Xavier Sadan, 9/3 Middleton Row, Calcutta – 700 071, INDIA : Xavier Sadan is the provincial’s office of the Calcutta Province of the Society of Jesus. The administrative work of the province is done in this office. Father Socius assists the Provincial. The treasurer looks after the accounts and the finance of the province. Calcutta Jesuit News Letter containing news and views of the Calcutta Jesuits and the periodical Calcutta Jesuits and Friends are published from this institution. Email:
St. Xavier’s College, 30 Park Street, Calcutta – 700 016. Founded in 1860. The motto is Nihil Ultra (Nothing Beyond) means our aim is set on the highest ideals. The college runs four Departments: Arts, Science, Commerce and Education. There are around 5,000 students in the College. Email:, , Web-site:
St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, 30 Park Street, Calcutta – 700 016. The school department is affiliated to the Council of the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi, up to class XII. There are around 2,300 students. There are 83 teachers, 34 men and 49 women. Email:
St. Lawrence High School, 27 Ballygunge Circular Road, Calcutta – 700 019. Founded in 1937. There are around 1800 students. There are 71 teachers, 42 men and 29 women. The school runs a hostel for the Catholic boys. They come from different parts of Bengal. At present the hostel has around 80 boys. Email:
Shanti Bhavan, 1/32-B Prince Golam Mohammed Road, Calcutta – 700 026. A small hostel and study centre for college students. There are 10 students. It is also a centre for Bengali studies and translation work. Mohana, a half-yearly Bengali magazine is published from this house. The director of the house and the editor of the magazine is Fr. Schillings, SJ.
Prabhu Jisu Girja, 76 Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Calcutta – 700 016. The church takes care of the spiritual need of the nearby Catholics. Bengali Liturgical Centre is situated here. It is also a formation centre for Christian Life Community (CLC) and Leadership Training Service (LTS). The institution has a very good library named Duff Hall. The students of the locality use the library.
Loyola Jesuit Study House, 76 Rafi Ahemd Kidwai Road, Calcutta – 700 016. Centre for young Jesuits in training. Most of them study in St. Xavier’s College, some in the Scottish Church College. There are about 20 scholastics staying now.
Chitrabani, 76 Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Calcutta – 700 016. Founded in 1973. It is a Social Communication Centre. Chetana , a branch of the centre produces educational programs for Radio Varitas, Manila. The institution organizes many Communication-media programs and courses. There is an audio-visual centre here. Director: Fr. P J Joseph, SJ. Email:
St. Xavier’s School, P.O. Haldia Township, Dist Midnapore, W.B. – 721 607. Established in 1971. This co-education school has around 4,000 students. There are altogether 150 teachers for all three sections— Higher Secondary, Secondary, and primary.
Dhyan Ashram, Diamond Harbour Road, Konchowki, P.O. Bishnupur, Dist. 24-Parganas (S).– 743 503. Started in 1974. It is a Jesuit formation Centre with two years of Novitiate and one year of Juniorate programs. It also has a Retreat House which is used by the people of all faith, especially students, teachers, family members and religious. People of good will come from all over the wold here. There are 6 Jesuits and around 40 in training. Email:
Catholic Church Raghabpur, P.O. Nepalganj, Dt 24 Parganas (S) – 743 508. Raghabpur St. Joseph’s Parish was started in 1868. It is one of the oldest parishes in Bengal.There are several sub-parishes under this parish. At present 2 Jesuits are working there. They take care of the spiritual aspect of the parishioners. Parish Priest: Fr. Timir Singha, SJ.
St. Paul’s High School, P.O. Nepalganj, Dist. 24-Parganas (S), 743 508. The school was started in 1940. It is fully a Bengali Medium school with 850 students of whom 530 are Catholic. There are 4 Jesuits working in the school with the co-operation of 20 teachers. The school has boarding for the boys. There are 80 boarders. Headmaster: Fr. Thottam, SJ.
Parasmani, Ratan Palli, Santiniketan, Birbhum Dt. W.B – 731 235. Bengal Regional Theology Centre started in 1997. Jesuit Scholastics go through one year of theology programme prior to going to Vidya Jyoti, Delhi, a theology centre. At present there are 8 Jesuit scholastics from the Northern Jesuit Provinces studying here. email:
Udayani Social Action Forum,75/1 Ballygunge Place, Calcutta – 700 019. It is the Province Social Apostolate Centre. It houses a good library and documentation centre. The Centre organizes adult education and other social programs. Recently it has started a diploma course in social work. The course is affiliated to St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta. There are 6 on the staff including 2 Jesuits. Director: Fr. Xavier Jeyaraj, SJ. Email:
St. Xavier’s School, Burdwan, WB – 713 103. Founded in 1964. There are around 1,000 students including 10 Catholics. The school is run by 2 Jesuits and 32 teachers, 10 men and 22 women. Email:
E M R C, 50 Circus Avenue, Calcutta – 700 017. Founded in 1986. This Education Media Research Centre is attached to St. Xavier’s College and sponsored by UGC. It produces educational TV programs. It is one of the best centres in the Country. This esteemed Institution has 21 staff working under Jesuit Director: Fr. G Ponodath, SJ. Email:
St. Xavier’s School, ABB Township, Durgapur, WB – 713 206. Started in 1963. It has around 1650 students. 950 are in the primary section and 700 in the secondary section. There are 60 teachers and 4 Jesuits on the staff.
Premananda Ashram, P O Demouli, via Salua, Chamrusai, Midnapore – 721 145. The centre was founded in 1975. In Chamrusai there is a boarding school with 800 students predominantly Santal tribal students. There are 22 teachers and 5 Jesuits.
Loyola Jayanti Vidyapith, Mithila village, P. O. Keshiakole, Bankura, W.B.- 722 155. It is a boarding for the local santal tribal boys, founded in 1990. There are 30 boarders who are looked after by 2 Jesuits. In 1997 the Jesuit Pre-novitiate (the initial stage of Jesuit formation) was shifted from Siliguri to LJV. There are 16 Pre-Novices.
Maria Snehasadan, Vill & P.O. Gurap, Dt. Hooghly, W B – 712 303. A boarding school for santal tribal boys started in 1993. There are around 130 boys staying over there. Some of the boarders go to nearby schools for education. There are 8 teachers both men and women. The director of the boarding and as well as the in-charge of the place is Fr. Eric Tigga, SJ.
Khristo Seva Ashram, Kalna, Dt. Burdwan, W B – 713 409. Started in 1963 this ashram is also predominantly for santal tribal boys. There are around 130 boarders, most of them are studying in the local schools. There are 5 teachers along with 2 Jesuits to look after the boys. Incharge: Fr. Joe de Souza, SJ.
Shanti Sadan, Vill. Mirga, P.O. Karra, via Chhatna, Dist. Bankura, W B – 722 132. This abode of peace is started in the year of 1980. It is a boarding school both for boys and girls. Their number is 160, 110 boys and 50 girls. The Jesuit director Fr. Mangaldas, SJ is helping them out with the help of 12 teachers.
Jisu Ashram, Pandua, Dist. Hooghly, W B – 712 149. There is a boarding and a primary school. The boarding is started in 1982 and the school in 1997. There are 150 students and 7 teachers in the school. The boarding has 150 boys.
Jesuit Residence, Bangladesh. 61/A, Tejkunipara, Tejgaon, Dhaka – 1215. The Calcutta Jesuits have started a house in Bangladesh in 1997. Presently they are involved in Spiritual Ministry and Youth Apostolate. There are 2 Indian Jesuits working there in collaboration with other 2 Bangladeshi Jesuits. Email: